Sanders Collection Bed Sheet Scam – J Sanders Rip-Off Cheap Bed Sheets Exposed

j sanders collection scam bed sheets

Sanders Collection Scam Sheets

You probably ended up here because you thought that these “Sanders Collection” bedsheets were too good to be true. They are advertised as anything from 800 – 1500 thread count “Egyptian Cotton” bed sheets. Well you’ve come to the right place as I am going to explain how and why they get away with selling these bed sheets at such a low price. It Is A SCAM!

Sanders collection bed sheets are not really cotton! I was shopping at a discount store in town called “Chapter 11 furniture” looking for a cheap couch for my new apartment. While I was there, I was reminded by someone I work with about “amazing bed sheets” that they had for sale, some crazy story about 1000 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets for only $20. Of course, if anyone is going to believe that they can get 1000 thread count egyptian cotton sheets for less than a few hundred dollars, it would have to be at one of these sleazy ”discount / liquidation / overstock merchandise” stores.

Yes, I BOUGHT THE SHEETS! I admit it, I opened the zipper and felt the sheets, and they are very soft to the touch, almost silky. It was then when I got home and took them out of the package that I saw how much I was scammed… Read on and I’ll explain everything.

What is thread count? By definition, thread count is:

The number of threads contained in one square inch of fabric

The higher the thread count, the higher quality the fabric. Of course this is relevant to other fabrics constructed from the same material. A 1000 thread count polyester fabric is not necessarily of higher quality than a 200 thread count cotton fabric.

Thread count also has absolutely nothing to do with how soft the fabric is or how soft your bed sheets will be, (however, cotton sheets with less than 200 thread count will start to feel like sand paper, there is little difference in softness in most cotton sheets above 350 thread count, it has more to do with the quality of the cotton). A higher thread count sheet is thicker, more durable, and will last longer. Most premium cotton bed sheets are in the 500-600 thread count range. These sheets are very thick and rugged, they are difficult to wrinkle, and they will last you a long time. Again, softness has more to do with the quality of the cotton than it does with the thread count.

Another thread count factor to take into consideration is the actual size of the thread itself. Thinner thread leads to higher thread counts. A sheet made with a thick cotton thread may be just as high quality and dense at a lower thread count as a similar sheet set made with a thin cotton thread with a higher thread count. However, it is almost impossible to find any legitimate cotton sheets above a 600 thread count where the marketing team isn’t just pulling your leg by using extremely fine threads of cotton.

sanders collection scam Egyptian cotton thread count

Label on Sanders Collection Scam Bed Sheets

So what about these sanders collection bed sheets? They claim, depending on the package that you buy, anywhere from an 820 thread count – 1500 thread count 100% Egyptian Cotton sheet set. Is this even physically possible? Possibly if they have ultra fine cotton threads to use, but cotton as an organic substance is usually very susceptible to breaking or being damaged at such a thin scale. So what are these Sanders Collection bed sheets made of?

THEY ARE NOT EVEN REALLY MADE OF COTTON!

Their label actually does not state what they are made of, just that they are made in china. When you open the package, there is no label that states the actual fabric that they use. There are a couple of options, based on physics… But it all boils down to the following. The only fibers that can be manufactured small enough to have this high of a thread count (often referred to as a microfiber) while still producing such a thin and flimsy sheet are nylon, kevlar, nomex, trogamide and or a conjugation of polyester and polyamide. In essence, these are

Synthetically Created Fibers Derived from Petro-Chemicals!

When you take the Sanders Collection sheets out of their package. You will notice that they are extremely thin, you can see right through them. Even a 300 thread count cotton sheet will have 2-3 times the density of these thin flimsy sheets.

They may be soft, but you are now spending 8+ hours a day sleeping on a petro-chemical cancer hazard… and they will fall apart probably within 1 year if you wash them regularly. You are being completely fooled into thinking you scored a super bargain, but if you think these are really premium sheets, well, just look at them.

These 300 Thread Count Ralph Lauren sheets are softer and higher quality than the 1500 thread count JSanders sheets.
These JSanders Sheets are the cheap microfiber that many people are scammed with.

How Does the Sanders Collection Get Away With This?

So you may be wondering how they can even get away with selling these sheets as Egyptian Cotton when they are clearly made of synthetic microfibers. The answer lies in the fine print on their front label that almost everyone will overlook. It reads:

[Sanders Collection Sheets] are made of high strength micro fiber yarns that will stay soft and wrinkle free for years to come with the soft touch as 820 Thread Count 100% Egyptian Cotton Sheet Set

Yes, it says as soft as 820 thread count 100% Egyptian cotton. Key words here are “AS SOFT AS“… It might as well say as soft as a babies bottom because they are still not saying its made of a babies bottom just as they are not really saying that these sanders collection sheets are really made of cotton.

I hope this information has been helpful to you. I returned my sheets and bought some organic cotton Ralph Lauren bed sheets at TJ Maxx for only a bit more money. I hope you return your sanders collection sheets as well.

Did you buy these sheets too? Tell me your story!

83 Comments to Sanders Collection Bed Sheet Scam – J Sanders Rip-Off Cheap Bed Sheets Exposed

1. SHERRY LOTT's Gravatar SHERRY LOTT
    February 25, 2011 at 12:03 am | Permalink

sheetlady’s ad is a lie because she says that if you buy the 1200 thread count right now she will upgrade to the 1500 thread count and that it is not microfiber, but on the back label it states that the sheets are microfiber. i really messed up. i bought six sets of these thin flimsy sheets. and when i sent her an email asking what they were made of right after i ordered them because the ad is kind of misleading in another way by saying egyptian comfort and i mistook it for cotton. but she just plain out lies when she says they are 1500 thread count because the label says “compare the comfort and soft touch as a 1500 thread count. and the bad thing about this is she will not admit that the sheets are not 1500 thread count and she won’t even address the fact that her ad says they are not microfiber because we consider that to be junk. well the back label states they are made of microfiber. i should have known but i did not think that ebay would let sellers get away with such lies.

• unirealist's Gravatar unirealist
      December 27, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

First of all, the sheets do NOT say “as soft as.” They say, “Compare the Comfort and Soft Touch as a…” (820 or 1500 count Egyptian Cotton Sheet Set). As a writer and the husband of an English teacher, I can say with confidence that there is NO SUCH CONSTRUCTION IN ENGLISH as “compare…as a…” It is a nonsense phrase.

So, legally, the sellers of these scam sheets have no defense. Nothing on the label advises the buyer that they should be comparing to cotton sheets.

Secondly, on the back label it is stated that the sheets are made of “high strength micro fiber yarns…” Take note, please: there is no such thing as “micro fiber.” There IS such a thing as microfiber, but that is NOT what the package says.

So, legally, the seller CANNOT argue that the buyer has been informed about the synthetic nature of the material. The material they name in the fine print does not exist.

• Bobby Jones's Gravatar Bobby Jones
        August 1, 2012 at 10:24 am | Permalink

Now they have scammed so many people they changed their brand name to Clara Clark
        claraclark.com Note phone number 845 738 4832
        sanderscollection.com Note phone number 845 738 4832
        Same sheets, same company, same people, different brand………………………..
        Here is the company behind all this
        linenchoice.com/bed_sheet_set.html

• pgm's Gravatar pgm
      February 20, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

I just got taken at a home and garden show this weekend in Twin Falls Idaho.
      When I couldn’t find a content label, I got curious. w2asn’t there a law requiring content labeling? I started searching the net…
      the above is the website where a pdf file states the federal rules on labeling textiles. Read pages 12-13 and 23-25. This company is in direct violation of Federal law 16 CFR part 303 You can view the Federal Trade Commissions rules on labeling here: http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/textile/rr-textl.shtm.

• BMS's Gravatar BMS
        July 30, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

I found the tag/label inside the sanders collection pillowcase end tuck. On one side it had instructions to wash, said made in china and on the other: 100% MICROFIBER. I took a photo of that and submitted it to the seller who refunded me my money as they outright were advertising these in WRITING as 1600 count thread Egyptian Cotton. I think it is false advertising and a scam for them to say compare to $139 as most Queen microfiber sets sell for apx $20-30.

2. Lana Buurman's Gravatar Lana Buurman
    February 25, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

Yep, bought into the sheet scam as well! Only difference is that they will not return them, only exchange for another set of possible cancer causing agents. I just want to know what kind of fibers that these sheets are made from, yet I still have had no response….hmm makes you wonder what the big secret is?

• ann's Gravatar ann
      June 10, 2011 at 8:26 am | Permalink

I just bought these this week. The label says JS Sanders is that different than J Sanders? The attached link has the same label as the ones I bought for 20.00 for the 820 count

• barbara's Gravatar barbara
        June 16, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

I also got the scam sheets….I am so pissed….they have seams where there should not be seams…lol.Go figure…can’t get money-back ie any thing..

3. chunt's Gravatar chunt
    February 26, 2011 at 4:35 am | Permalink

I bought these exact sheets at GoodWill, and they told me that they were donated from a reputable store….I thought that it was still too good to be true….Thanks for your posting!

• Jeanne hively's Gravatar Jeanne hively
      August 8, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

I bought J Sanders Collection sheets at Bethesda Thrift Store ($18.) and will donate them back w/ a note.

4. kristin flint's Gravatar kristin flint
    February 28, 2011 at 1:49 am | Permalink

I got taken for thease sheets as well , the problem is that I bought them at the Long Beach home show that is now over, so no chance of returning them , I am so mad at myself for falling for this , I am a total sheet snob and have paid as much as nine hundred dollars for high thread count sheets in the past. But thease days I don’t have the luxury of spending that much on myself , having a four month old baby now . I guess I was hopeful that I was getting a deal of a lifetime . bummer! I wouldn’t have never bought sheets like this even if they were a dollar, they are terrible, my dog doesn’t even want to sleep with them . Kristin

5. Ashley's Gravatar Ashley
    March 13, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

I bought these sheets at my local goodwill for 23 dollars. Very disappointed, but glad that you made this website.

6. stacie's Gravatar stacie
    March 26, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Yes, I bought the sheets. I just opened them a few minutes ago and immediately googled the company. I felt the same as you “scammed” ! I could completely see through them, gross!
    I thought it seemed to good to be true, but they were selling them where I work. I work for the federal government, so I thought they wouldn’t allow things like this inside the building. My mistake. I will spread the word at work, thank you.

• Lynn's Gravatar Lynn
      September 30, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Ha! You thought because you work for Uncle Scam that you couldn’t get scammed? Lol! The Fed is the most corrupt thing on the planet!

7. Sally's Gravatar Sally
    March 27, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

I beg to differ on your statements you have made above. I have several sets of these sheets and love them. I have had them for at least 3 years and they have not fallen apart, gave me cancer or any of the other BS you have listed above. These sheets are a good deal for the price you pay. They are very soft and comfortable for people who cannot afford a $300 set of sheets. It clearly says on the package “AS SOFT AS” therefore people are not mislead to think they are buying the REAL thing. I will continue to use and buy my sheets and I am sure other people who have bought these will do the same. This is a worthless colum you have typed up.

Also, Do you investigate everything you buy from Wal-Mart as well?

• sheet lover's Gravatar sheet lover
      April 17, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

Looks like Sally is selling these crappy sheets on ebay…hahaha..They are junk….plain & simple. I also bought these on ebay…After seeing they were junk…researched them. They sell in bulk for less than $15 a set from china. There is a good review on ebay with a link to this site. I told all of this to the seller & she gave me back $16 of the $35 I paid for them. Always do your homework if things on ebay seem to be a great bargain!

• ianam's Gravatar ianam
      July 5, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

“Sally” is a grossly dishonest person. The “as soft as” is NOT clear, people ARE misled, and even if that weren’t so it wouldn’t make this column “worthless”. And what would it matter whether or not Boon investigates every Wal-Mart purchase? What a mindbogglingly stupid argument, “Sally”.

And the same goes for “Edith”: “you can say whatever you want…i can go on any site..and do the same thing you have just done..” — yes, you very stupid person, one can go on any site and say that the sky is blue or say that it is red — the issue isn’t that people can say things, it’s whether what they say is TRUE, and you have offered no reason to think that anything Boon said isn’t true.

• anomenon's Gravatar anomenon
      September 2, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

If they were advertised as microfiber then you would have a point, but I was just at a fair where all of the signage stated “1500 thread count Egyptian cotton.” That is false advertising. When I questioned the salesman about how on earth it is possible to offer 1500 actual threads per square inch of Egyptian cotton at this price– were folded staples of cotton counted more than once– he replied the sheets contain “SOME” miscrofiber. In investigating online I see it is 100% manmade material and he blatantly lied. I also observed shoddy workmanship– puckered, uneven seams. Even one dollar is a ripoff if the sale is obtained through lies. I am so glad I did not buy on-the-spot like sales people try to pressure you to do.

• Bari's Gravatar Bari
        September 18, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

I bought these sheets at a fair – my husband and I picked up the sheets and looked at them, commenting on “Egyptian cotton” and 1200 thread count. The very nice saleslady just nodded and agreed. When I asked her if they were cotton she said it was a blend (which is true, but stupid me, I assumed cotton was in that blend). Too good to be true usually means exactly that. The sheets are thin and feel like the fabric my laundry bags are made of – not something I want to sleep on. Nothing anywhere on the sheets says what it’s they’re made of. She also said the reason they’re so cheap is because they’re all “overstock” which is put aside until there is enough to sell – AND that they’d been selling them in that very spot for EIGHT years. Not true. It’s a good lesson and thankfully, did not cost that much to learn it.

8. knowsbetternow's Gravatar knowsbetternow
    May 1, 2011 at 11:53 am | Permalink

My guess is that Sally is probably selling these sheets at the home shows or is friends with someone who is. (And Sally, your remark attacking Stacie’s comments as being “worthless” didn’t win me over as a fan of yours. We all came here to express opinions, and hopefully we can do it respectfully without denigrating the person with the opinion.)

My fault for not reading the kind of “clearly marked” in small print microfiber statement. However, Sally, you have to acknowledge that the BIG PRINT says “1500 Thread Count 100% Egyptian Cotton Sheet Set” and there is no mention of microfiber on the main package label side. Anyone in a consumer protection organization would surely say there was intent to mislead the consumer with the labeling.

What initially upset me was that the sheet set was not the same quality as the “sample sheet” they used to cover their display table at the Atlanta Entertaining and Food Expo. When I got home and opened the package, the sheets were very flimsy and didn’t have anything remotely resembling a natural fiber feel. You could actually see the flesh of your hand through the fabric. I felt ripped off even before I started researching the Sanders Collection sheets on line.

Bottom line, these are total crap and I’m hoping the sellers at the home show will take them back and refund my money politely today when I return them.

Will let you all know how that goes.

9. Joni's Gravatar Joni
    May 3, 2011 at 1:43 am | Permalink

I love my js sanders sheets. They have been used in my house for over 5 years. One of the reasons I bought those sheets is because they were much cooler then those heavy sheets that came out of my dryer looking like I needed to iron them! Nope they haven’t fallen apart. As for “derived from petro chemical cancer hazard”? That’s a big statement. Did you have these sheets lab tested somewhere? Back it up with real facts before you try scaring people!

10. Ann's Gravatar Ann
    May 3, 2011 at 11:42 am | Permalink

I guess you have a chem. degree. I can’t believe you haven’t been sued for such liable. Causes ‘cancer’. Wow, what a statement. I have 3 sets of these, love them, sleep like a baby. They have held up great for years! There are some other name brands out there, that sell for $20, I did buy 1 of those. They snagged, fell apart & were paper thin. Not my JS Sanders.

Lets see if you are big enough to post positive feed back.

11. allipali's Gravatar allipali
    May 9, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

I purchased sheets and a duvet at a Trade show this past January. I was given the sheets along with a receipt from J. Sanders collection. The duvet was to be mailed within a few weeks however it only arrived last week. The company claims they did not sell me the sheets or duvet and REFUSE to refund me. The sheets pill, they are thin and clearly not truly cotton. I am sorry I did not see the above info on the web BEFORE purchasing. Of course, anything of true and honest quality would not be this cheap. I was a fool and the people at J. Sanders add to it by their inability to take responsibility for their vendors. They email me claiming I should have asked the name of the person selling me the sheets at the wholesale trade show. Since I don’t have the name of the woman who took my cash, they cannot refund me for their product. Stay away from the company and their products…

12. Marie's Gravatar Marie
    May 14, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

I find it extremely frustrating how misleading companies are whether its for bed sheets (in this case) or other things like anti-wrinkle cream or even cereal.

If their sheets are so good why do they have to have put misleading statements on them!!!

13. mb's Gravatar mb
    May 21, 2011 at 11:48 pm | Permalink

just got scammed today. the sample sheets were nice. the woman made sure i didnt open another package to feel the quality. thank God i didnt buy the “1200 or 1300 count”. the folks are situated on the corner of shoup & ventura blvd in woodland hills, ca in a gas station parking lot. but you get what you pay for. pretty silly of me to think i could get decent quality high thread count sheets for that price. what scumbags!!how do they even live with themselves deceiving people.

14. Kelly's Gravatar Kelly
    June 12, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

I unfortunately got scammed – because my husband does not pay attention!! He found these on eBay and I stupidly listened to him without checking them out myself. He had bought a set of sheets and they came, but I hadn’t seen them before he told me about them and I asked him to buy more. ERGH!!! I then found the first set of sheets and told him there was no way they were made of cotton. We’ve paid for expensive, well-made, COTTON high thread count sheets and youc an tell they are cotton, and you can tell the Sanders sheets are NOT cotton!! I’m SO ANGRY!!!! And beause it’s eBay, there is nothing we can do! I told my husband that we’re not using the sheets on our bed – especially because our baby boy sleeps in our bed – and I REFUSE to put my child on these sheets. Thank you so much for backing up wheat I’ve been telling him!!

• anomenon's Gravatar anomenon
      September 2, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Permalink

This may be too late for you, but in case anyone else comes along in the same situtation you should file a claim via eBay’s buyer protection program which covers you for, I believe, 45 days . If you paid via paypal or credit card see if they can intercede on your behalf.

15. Curious's Gravatar Curious
    June 24, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

I just purchased a set of these sheets from a street vendor on my way to work this morning, so needless to say, I cannont comment on the quality of this product, but I can say that the labeling is very misleading. Just for grins, I decided to do a web search of the brand name and stumbled upon this site. Sorry I didn’t conduct my search before purchasing the product, but then again, why would I? Oh, well…they only cost $20, and I consider that a fair price to pay for a valuable lesson.

16. Lisa's Gravatar Lisa
    July 4, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

Yep, I purchased these sheets also from a guy selling them on the street corner in Culver City, CA selling them for $20 for the 820 thread count and $35 for 1500 thread count.. I love sheets and knew this was too good to be true,. Anyone who knows any thing about sheets knows that you can’t buy sheets at this thread count for this price. I figured for $20 it won’t break my bank account. and I wouldn’t be too upset that they weren’t the actual thread count listed on the package.

I did feel the sheets while in the package which felt pretty soft. I could see that the seems were a little crooked but figured that was part of the reason for the discounted price. Anyway when you open the package you can immediately tell they are totally inferior sheets, extremely thin, definately not 100% cotton or 820 or 1500 thread count. They have some weird chemical smell to them.

It’s not that big of a deal since I only paid $20, knew the thread count was misleading but I do mind that the package says 100% cotton and they’re anything. but.

17. Erik's Gravatar Erik
    July 6, 2011 at 1:04 am | Permalink

So my sister and her boyfriend and I went to the county fair on July 3rd. She bought the sheets after feeling the sample at the vendors’ booth. I was nearby and saw the sheets as well. I will be upgrading to a queen mattress and thought these would be nice. I haven’t researched Egyptian cotton sheets…this was, as I now know, an impulse buy. So tonight I decided to look at the label and check the reviews, as I usually do prior to purchase. I came across your website and realized, after viewing other websites with higher …much higher priced sheets, that these were not for me. I called my sister and let her know my plan. I will post an update when I resolve my issue. Luckily, I haven’t opened the packaging.

18. Parmar's Gravatar Parmar
    July 15, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

Yes, we got them today at the side street of Union Station, Washington DC. This vendor was selling sheets, and my husband fell into it. I was so upset with this vulnerability; even the two male vendors noticed the scowl in my face. Hubby wanted to get more sets of sheets but I didn’t allow him to (he started to feel embarrassed by my major attitudes). Later, I told him, 800 count sheets for $20…too good to be true, and as a rule of thumb, when it’s too good to be true, better watch out! We got home to scrutinize the maker, and run into your website. Thanks for publishing all these comments to educate more others who might be possibly fooled by this scam!

19. Pamela's Gravatar Pamela
    July 22, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

i purchased these sheets a few days ago from amazon.com also thinking i was getting the deal of a lifetime but only to my surprise when i opened the package i realized that i may have gotten ripped off of my 35.00 + tax. Thats when i decided to do some research and i came across this page, and boy am i glad i did because i do not want myself or my family and specially not my 2 month old sleeping on these sheets, thank you for this information , i have sent an email to the seller and hopefully i can get a refund.

20. Nurse2000's Gravatar Nurse2000
    July 28, 2011 at 5:12 am | Permalink

I received my sheets today, that I had ordered off of E-bay from the SheetLady! We were looking for the sheets I usually get and came onto these. Thought even if they were not 1500 thread count, they have to be better than 200 and they were 20 bucks? Got them out and opened them with my husband to wash them first. I can literally see my husband through them. They are so thin, and I was for sure the elastic was going to be broke or stretched out after they were washed and dried! The sheets that I have had for 15 years are still better quality than theses! No Refund only Exchange………will never do that again. Will stay with QVC or HSN for my sheets! Just folding them made my arms irritated! Ughh!

21. Tyler's Gravatar Tyler
    August 8, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Yeah im returning these sheets to amazon theyre TERRIBLE and very low quality. Just from the touch i knew something was wrong.

22. Steph's Gravatar Steph
    August 10, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

I purchased these at a street fair that comes to town every year. I was so scammed and have no possible way to return them because it would be impossible to locate the person we bought them from!! Looks like its going to become a very expensive dust cloth, if that! I will probably just toss them and spend the money on quality sheets!

Thanks for letting me know about the petro-chemicals before I actually got around to putting them on my bed!

23. RACHEL's Gravatar RACHEL
    August 13, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

I see these sheets all the time, various vendoes sell them for $20.00. My question is how did you not know??? When I see the $20.00 sticker i knew right away maybe its street smarts or some common sense but it all comes down to you get what you pay for.

24. Ling's Gravatar Ling
    August 22, 2011 at 11:22 pm | Permalink

As an Australian, it’s my first time heard about the brand, quite shocking. Will be alerted should the scam come to AU. But also wondering whether you consumers can do anything (say report to a certain authority or get the story covered on TV or in paper) to stop the scam?

25. Jessica's Gravatar Jessica
    August 31, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

I bought these sheets on Amazon! They are complete crap! Of course I took them out of the package noticed how crappy they were then immediately wanted to return them. But I can only return unopened items! Now I’m screwed. I’m a college student so I’ll probably just send these sheets back home for my bed there. But the cancer claim kind of scares me!

Can you explain again why they are cancerous? And how do we know it’s that type of material when they idiots didn’t even put a tag on the sheets?

• John's Gravatar John
      September 3, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

The claim that these sheets are cancerous is extreme and a bit over the top. What it comes down to is that the sheets are of manmade fibers derived from a petroleum base, i.e. polyester. People have been wearing clothing made from polyester for around 75 years. Petroleum products in their natural forms; oil, kerosene, gas, etc. are listed by the U.S. federal government as carcinogens that are linked to causing cancer. Sleeping on polyester sheets every night is not the same as smearing motor oil all over your body every night before going to bed. I personally would be more comfortable if the sheets were not made in China, were there is little to no oversight of the manufacturing process.

26. John's Gravatar John
    September 2, 2011 at 11:56 am | Permalink

My wife (who speaks and reads English as a second language) bought a set of these sheets yesterday from a vendor in the hallway at the Fort Riley Post Exchange, with tax, she was charged $48.39. Today she washed them (prior to using) and placed them in the dryer to dry. While they were drying on a low temperature, I thought that I could smell kerosene. I opened the dryer door, and sure enough it was the sheets that I smelled. That is when I found the package that the sheets came in, and decided to Google the product, and found this website. I can’t be upset with my wife, like others on this site, she thought that she found a good deal. We will chalk it up to a learning experience and move on.

27. anomenon's Gravatar anomenon
    September 2, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

Boon, thank you for posting. My boyfriend was very close to buying these sheets despite my skepticism. In fact, a shadow of self-doubt started creeping into my mind after a while, (“maybe I am being to critical”) until I found your post. It is exactly this emotion, “oh, it’s probably okay” that sales people prey on. To contribute to your initial findings I would like to add some of the spin the salesman tried to put on these.

As I posted in a reply to “Sally,” the salesman lied when he said the sheets contain only “SOME” microfiber, failing to mention they are zero percent Egyptian cotton. When his argument became, “yes, it is a ‘too good to be true’ price for 100% Egyptian cotton, but given that there is some microfiber it’s not that outrageous of a bargain, but it’s a good solid value for sturdy/soft sheets that will last you at least a couple of years, and if you’re not happy I’ll refund your money.” It started sounding tempting. But he encouraged us to pay in cash to get a discount. That would have left us no recourse or at least a very hard time proving the sale. He said don’t be confused by other JS Sanders Collection sheets out there that people have complained about– the “hotel” and “select” lines within the collection are far inferior to the third line in the collection he was selling.

When he mentioned the 100% money back guarantee, I asked who pays for shipping and how much is it. He claimed he just gives the refund without requiring the item to be returned. That is the FIRST I’ve heard of such a generous return policy. “Too good to be true” part two. With perfect timing, the moment my boyfriend and I started walking away, a woman came up to the salesman and started crowing about how wonderful the sheets were that she bought from that company at a different event. And that got me thinking “hmm… well, she’s happy with them.” In retrospect I wonder if she was a shill. In retrospect it had all the classic hallmarks of a scam and I cannot believe how tempted I was feeling to buy at one point. I have to say, the puckered and uneven seems should be a dead giveaway these were sewn by a slave-wage-earning Chinese child. So happy to not have been part of this scam/exploitation.

• anomenon's Gravatar anomenon
      September 2, 2011 at 10:57 pm | Permalink

p.s. On Amazon it looks like shill customers are giving these sheets five stars and the very few real reviews you can find with actual customers are one star, unhappy, dissatisfied reviews. I enourage consumers to flag any reviews that appear to be from shills whenever you encounter them.

28. T. Dub's Gravatar T. Dub
    September 3, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

My mom called me this afternoon and was SO stoked thinking that she’d found 1500 thread count sheets for 32 dollars. When I came home and saw the sheets I immediately knew they were a scam. Now I don’t have the heart to tell her! She bought four sets and got completely ripped off! And honestly, it really pisses me off. I would normally just let her sleep on them and put it all together herself but the thought of her sleeping on potentially dangerous is going to force me to tell her they were a scam. Thanks for bringing light to this!!

29. Stacy's Gravatar Stacy
    September 26, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

I am totally disappointed that this is a scam. As a fairly intellegent individual and a horrible homemaker, I assumed that the price I normally paid for sheets was ridiculous! When I found these at a small-town festival, I was very excited to get them home, washed and on my beds (yes I purchased two sets). When I pulled them out of the package, I became concerned as they are thin and you can basically see through them.
    I don’t doubt that they are decent sheets, however after reading this website and having the possibility of cancer introduced to the equation, I will be using these for dust rags!
    So much for getting a good deal and shame on this company for the misleading advertising!!!!

30. Alison's Gravatar Alison
    September 28, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

I just received the sheets as a gift. I looked up the company due to how thin the sheets appeared. They seemed far from 300 count let alone more. As for the people happy with them and feel there is no scam. Great for them however, regardless of the wording, there is most definitively a petroleum spell and bad chemicals are bad chemicals and hope they do not inflict the harm on their children or guests. I will go to an buy good sheets at a discount store and be happy for the thoughtfulness of the gift.

31. popseyg's Gravatar popseyg
    November 8, 2011 at 8:44 am | Permalink

Thanks for all the info on this site. I was on the point of buying a set and had not noticed the small print alerting to the fact that these were not 100% Egyption Cotton sheets. I had emailed the seller and am still awaiting the reply. Needless to say I will not be persuing this purchase.

For UK buyers, surely, the Sale of Goods Act offers some recall as the goods are obviously misdescribed. A threat of court action may help those concerned obtain refunds.

Regarding some of the comments above, I think websites like these contain valuable information allowing people to make an informed decision as to whether or not to make a purchase. For those who know what high quality bedding feels like, they are undoubtedly going to find the inferior weight and quality unacceptable, for those who are used to more standard qualities, this set will be an improvement albeit not comparable to how high thread count 100% Egyptian cotton ought to feel.

The old adage ‘you get what you pay for’ is a valuable purchasing caution.

Thank you for allowing me to make a decicion not to purchase these sheets!!!

32. Zayani M.'s Gravatar Zayani M.
    November 14, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Permalink

My student handed me a fundraising flyer for these sheets. She sells them for $40 and gets to keep $15. So not only is Sanders still going strong, but the company is using children to sell their misleading products. Some people like them. Hooray for them. I just don’t like being misled.

33. smonroe's Gravatar smonroe
    November 22, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the info. Bought the sheets today at a Goodwill – $20.00. Just needed some twin sheets and this was what they had – agree the large lettering is misleading and after opening them I reread it. In fine print says they are made of high strength yarns???? What’s that?
    I am not a sheet snob and I still use the cotton poly sheets I got when I was married 45 yrs. ago. so I had no idea how a 820 thread Egyptian cotton sheet should look, feel or smell. I was about to go back and get a second pair but decided to check out what the label meant when I came across this web site, so I guess it wasn’t such a great deal but at least I only got stuck with one pr.

34. Joe Smith's Gravatar Joe Smith
    December 19, 2011 at 8:42 am | Permalink

There’s another company called All4comfort.com that advertises these sheets as 1500 threadcount. When I received my order and read the fine print the seller, Rick Collins out of Shelby Twp, Mi tried telling me that “as far as he knew they were 1500 threadcount.” He is an absolute crook! How do these companies get away with this?

35. Randy's Gravatar Randy
    December 19, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

I don’t know if its dangerous or not but It’s a blatant scam. The wording and the lack of Tags are meant to deceive you.

I bought them, being a man and not knowing anything about sheet, and my wife informed me that it was too good to be true and that the quality was not there. The worst part of the whole deal is the out right lies that the people selling these sheets.

I purchased a 1500 king size set for 45 at a Military base (AAFES Concession) but was glad that I got my money back. However, the guy that I returned them too was very defensive on my claims of false advertising.

36. Lisa's Gravatar Lisa
    December 29, 2011 at 1:54 am | Permalink

So glad I decided to research JS Sanders sheets before spending my hard-earned money to buy them. It seemed to good to be true, so I googled it and found your site. THANK YOU!!!

37. Sue's Gravatar Sue
    January 9, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

I just bought these sheets at a store locally. They were not inexpensive either! The only reason why I bought them is because I had a gift certificate. They said 1500 thread count & 100% egyptian cotton! I feel it is a total scam! I can’t take them back either, because they’ve already been washed & used once. I will go on JC Sanders website & complain. I always buy cotton sheets at a higher thread count and these looked very nice in the package, but when I took them out the trim that was on the pillow wasn’t on the trim of the flat sheet. I’m so pissed I washed them & didn’t take them back! I will never buy these again!!!

38. Heather's Gravatar Heather
    February 1, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

I purchased these JC Sanders Collection sheets at an agricultural fair, it was advertised to me (from the sales guy) as 1500 thread count 100% Egyptian Cotton – I later read the very small print that said, “as soft as.” Bottom line, it is certainly misleading, the “1500 THREAD COUNT 100% EGYPTIAN COTTON” is in HUGE print and the “as soft as” is tiny.
    I do however like the sheets but certainly would not buy them again as I don’t appreciate being mislead & lied to when I purchase anything. I believe the labeling should be modified so people are getting what they expect vs. the false advertising.

39. Jacqueline Cooper's Gravatar Jacqueline Cooper
    February 16, 2012 at 11:31 am | Permalink

VERY AGGRAVATED!!! I BOUGHT 820 COUNT “EGYPTIAN COTTON” SHEETS, TWIN SIZE, FOR $15. AS SOON AS I OPENED THE PACKAGE, I KNEW I HAD BEEN RIPPED OFF!!! I GOT THEM AT A LOCAL CATHOLIC, NON-PROFIT THRIFT STORE. I WILL TRY TO RETURN THEM. SO AGGRAVATING! ESPECIALLY IN THIS ECONOMY.

40. Elena's Gravatar Elena
    February 26, 2012 at 11:38 am | Permalink

I purchased mine at Ebay store, didn’t had a chance to llok at them until arrived. I worked at textile industry for years and I know how REAL cotton looks and smells. This smelled like pure petroleum product. After burning a small thread (perfect test – cotton will burn and smell organically,). Second, it didn’t pass static electricity test – it stuck as a magnet to my jacket. and lastly, I found this article! We should forward it to FTC, BBB and and your local Attorney General office for investigation! And demand money back!!!! Don’t buy from Ebay seller 1500threadcountking where I purchased mine!!!

41. toratorva's Gravatar toratorva
    March 5, 2012 at 11:45 pm | Permalink

My story is pretty much the same as the others here… my husband and I purchased two sets of these sheets from a vendor in the Fort Campbell PX and the minute we opened them it was clear we got ripped. Two sets of 820 thread count sheets bought off someone’s shady grandmother = $55; finding this article after the fact and relating to every person here = priceless!

42. Liz's Gravatar Liz
    March 30, 2012 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

I bought these sheets at a retail trade show. Stupid me. I washed them and thought they felt like a man made fiber. I did the burn test on a corner of the sheet and the fabric melted. Then, I looked closer at the tag in the package: Compare the comfort and soft touch AS a 1500 thread count 100% egyptian cotton sheet set. Nowhere on the sheets themselves is there a tag saying what the fiber actually is. I should have known better!!!!!! I was scammed by these jsanders sheets!

43. Lara's Gravatar Lara
    April 15, 2012 at 3:32 am | Permalink

I am furious. I bought these sheets today at a fair/parade that happens annualy in my hometown. I KNEW it was too good to be true but I bought them anyway. I figured it was $20 bucks and worth a shot. They are very soft. BUT…they are NOT Egyptian Cotton. I like Egyptian Cotton and have been using Egyptian Cotton sheets for years now. I thought I had really lucked out. Guess I was wrong. As soon as I opened them and through them in the wash I thought something might be up and went on-line. I ended up on this site in less than 20 seconds. Although I am extremely annoyed and angry that I got ripped off, I thought to mysely “well at least they are soft and were cheap..”….Now you guys are saying I’m going to get cancer?? Please give me information on this and PROOF, LEGIT RESEARCH on these cancer causing materials that are supposedly in these sheets. I obviously don’t want to put myself or my family in harms way, but I’ve never heard of a situation such as this and didn’t know that here in the United States it was perfectly legal and COMMON to sell bedding to people that could potentially kill them. You can see why I’m a little skeptical. You’re basically telling me if I sleep in my bed tonight with these sheets I will end up with cancer, get another fatal disease, or die. Thank you for your time.

44. laydeediana's Gravatar laydeediana
    April 24, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

THANK you… for making me double check before buying….
    As for everyone who is questioning the “Petro Chemical” comment, welcome to the 21st century, do you really not know where polyester comes from? One simple chemistry class, even my 10th grade daughter can tell you.
    “Microfiber textiles tend to be flammable and emit toxic gases when burning. They are made with synthetic fibers such as polyester and nylon which are made from petrochemicals”. – from Wikipedia, and yes, I have a degree in Engineering.

45. CEW's Gravatar CEW
    May 23, 2012 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

I bought two sets through Amazon. As soon as I opened the package I began sneezing and coughing. Then I washed them and when they came out of the dryer, I started having a burning feeling in my lungs and chest pain. My husband immediately bagged them up and put them outside. Then we found the SCAM ALERT on line. I have contacted the seller “The Comfort Zone” questioning this poison product. I also contacted the local
    Emergency Room and Poison Control Hotline. I am scared to death at this point. What have we really been exposed to here???

46. Tina's Gravatar Tina
    June 22, 2012 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

I have them and love them. Thin, yes, but soft and comfortable. For money I paid I cant complain. My friend told me to look the brand up and thats how I found this site. She hates her sheets and thinks she got scammed, me on the other hand love them and will buy them again.

47. Rose's Gravatar Rose
    June 25, 2012 at 5:08 am | Permalink

So Happy to find this website! Just bought a set of Cal King JS Sanders sheets today at an annual Greek Festival. I have Asthma and shudder to think what could have happened had I slept on bedding made of Petro Chemicals! Tomorrow I will be calling the Greek church where this festival was held to alert them of this company’s scam tactics as well as giving them info on this website.

48. Marilyn's Gravatar Marilyn
    June 25, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

I feel stupider than anybody. I used my 20% discount coupon at The Home Store in Cabo San Lucas, a very expensive furniture store catering to the upscale vacation homeowners of Los Cabos. With the discount the 1500-count 100% Egyptian cotton steets still cost me a hundred dollar bill and I thought I got a bargain – until I opened the package. The chemical aroma, lack of trim and no label alerted me to investigate JSSanders. It seems that all The Home Store´s furnishings are imported from China and their ¨Genuine Leather¨ is in fact PUFlocky and lasts about 6 months before peeling.

49. RsB33's Gravatar RsB33
    July 6, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

If it weren’t for the fact that I bought these scamheets at the local Salvation Army, I’d be even more angry. Had I bought them at a commercial enterprise, I’d be out gunning for someone’s scalp. Twenty-five bucks, plus tax, but at lease I now have something to keep the dust off my telescope. Moreover, I occasionally teach an adult writing course–fiction and business. Using their product label I can now combine the art of fiction along with “how to manipulate consumers through artful (deceptive) language Hope it doesn’t melt the paint on my telescope. Live and learn.

50. Calypso's Gravatar Calypso
    July 15, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

Thank you all for posting I was almost going to hit buy on eBay because the seller reduced the price and I was watching them for a few weeks and when I was reading the description like everyone else feels like’ wtf does that mean, something didn’t add up so I googled the bedding name JS Sanders and here I am. You all have gone through hell and I’m sorry for that but you have really helped a lot of people by telling your story so thank you. I will be sending this seller a message even though I did not purchase anything. This is crap!

51. Renee's Gravatar Renee
    August 20, 2012 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

These same cheap sheets are being sold on GROUPON, EBAY, AMAZON, and continue to be sold despite the obvious fraud. Is there no class action lawsuit that will make businesses accountable and put an end to this rediculous scam? Sooooo frustrating.

52. Jessica's Gravatar Jessica
    August 27, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

We just purchased 2 JCS Sanders sheet sets from the Orange County swap meet in CA. My daughter’s friend also got a mini speaker set for her iPod. We came home and immediately washed the sheets and as soon as I took them out of the package I new something was not right. Read the content labels and of course saw “made in china”, 100% microfiber, and on top of that, the speakers did not work! I was, needless to say rather perturbed.
    We are going back next weekend to try and get our money back, because they said they are there every weekend.
    I will report back, thank you for creating this forum Boon.

53. Mary Defayette's Gravatar Mary Defayette
    August 27, 2012 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Here is the link to the Twin Falls Better business bureau, Events Sales does a ton of these shows and they are based in Twin Falls, Idaho. Also, here is a list of upcoming events in 2012 http://eventsales.com/Show_Schedule.html

I bought sheets at the Western Idaho Fair but was able to return them the next day.
    They don’t divulge that the sheets are 100% polyester (all microfiber is) and that is a clear violation of the FTC. Right now, they have an A+ rating with only one complaint. It would be helpful for others that purchased from them to submit complaints, then shows would use this information to hopefully, deny them access. This is clearly fraud.

54. Fran's Gravatar Fran
    August 29, 2012 at 8:52 am | Permalink

i just bought these Sanders Collection sheets at our state fair in Boise ID a couple weeks ago. i asked the lady if they were really that amazing and she said yes, if they werent then she wouldnt sell them every year at the fair! so i bought them for $35. got them home and opened them and thought they were really thin. so i washed them and then looked them up online and this is what i found. DAMMIT! cant there be lawsuits filed or something?

55. James Johnson's Gravatar James Johnson
    September 11, 2012 at 12:50 am | Permalink

It is not only about the Sanders collection scam that I have learned here. What is more amazing about the post is how it taught me so much about distinguishing what makes a quality fabric based on thread quality and thread count. This was truly a very informative post that I forgot it was about a scam.

56. Blu's Gravatar Blu
    November 7, 2012 at 11:40 am | Permalink

The daughter of a lady I work with is selling these as a fundraiser for her JROTC class and I already promised to buy a set. I found this website after checking out the Sanders Collection site. Now I hate to spend the $40 on the sheets but I already told her I would.
    I’m glad you put up this information!

57. KTN's Gravatar KTN
    February 12, 2013 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

I was just at the Las Vegas Market, and these sheets were being sold there as well. From a few different exhibitors, and using different brand names. JS Sanders, Angel Collection (The Sheet Lady), etc. I approached one gentleman, and asked what the sheets were made of. He said 100% cotton, and that they were $45. When I said that the label said “as soft as” he said it was microfiber, and for me they would be $20. REALLY!!!??! When I approached another table of ladies, same thing happened, and they said they were selling 2 different types of sheets. The same as the other guy, and they were on sale for $25, and 1600 TC 100% EC sheets ( but that they were actually 95% cotton, and only 5% microfiber), on sale for $45. I bought these, and had them shipped. When they arrived, it hit me that the printed card said exactly the same thing as the first man I talked to with the fake cotton sheets. I immediately called Remart International, and they said that they were microifiber. I said this is not what I bought, and I wanted to return them. They immediately had “DebraAnn” call me back, and tell me again that they were 95% cotton, and 5% mf. In researching online, these companies are basically the same, with the same generic inserts in the sheets. I have already notified them that I will be returning, and they said that was fine. I better get my money back!