Is QuiBids A Scam? Learn about how QuiBids Works Here!

So you have recently discovered the promising and exciting world too-good-to-be-true penny auctions. The one you seem to be interested in is QuiBids. In this article I will dive into the inner workings of QuiBids so you know what you are getting into and you will be able to make an educated decision on your own.

So How Does QuiBids Work?

QuiBids is a penny auction website which charges you to bid on items at a per-bid fee. The standard rate for bids is 60 cents per bid. Your initial sign up with Quibids will charge you $48 for 80 bids (more on this charge below as it can confuse some people). Once you have a membership, you can also bid on “bid packs” or “bid vouchers” as QuiBids likes to call them. Winning bid packs or bid vouchers is like winning more bids. For example, if you spend 50 bids on a bid pack, and win 200 bids, you are making progress.

In this example, I am going to use an average net cost of 25 Cents per bid. If you view my “How Do Penny Auctions Work?” page, I will show you how I calculated my 25 cents per bid figure, which I am going to use to evaluate costs of bidding in Quibids.

Things To Watch Out For

Quibids claims on their first page that they have “Free Registration”. This registration does not allow you to bid or login. You have simply agreed to the terms and conditions and also given them your email address so they may be able to email you in the future. When you Hit page 2 of this QuiBids “registration process”, keep your eyes peeled for what comes next.

quibids free registration

quibids free registration sign

This is what you need to look out for, and this is common across many penny auction websites. This is where they ask you for your credit card number and instantly charge some money. QuiBids is actually more clear about this than many other websites, however its still something to look for. Ideally, they should have their final price within 100 pixels of the submit order button (an FTC guideline), however most Penny Auction websites hide it even more than this. The fact that they call step 1 a FREE REGISTRATION is a bit misleading and a lot of people wont notice this until it’s too late.

QuiBids Signup Charge $48.00

QuiBids Signup Charge $48.00

QuiBids actually does force you to accept their terms and conditions, which they make easily accessible. You REALLY should read these things so that you know what you are getting yourself into. Websites can disclaim anything they want in these things. When you actually have to check a checkbox, you really have no case when you try to dispute that you “didn’t know” you would be charged for something, etc… Buyer beware, you are entering into a contractual agreement that you have indeed read the terms and conditions. If you try to dispute something in the future, Quibids will obviously say “you agreed to that in our terms and conditions”.

quibids terms and conditions

quibids terms and conditions

All in all, QuiBids does a pretty good job of keeping the user informed of the charges they will receive, and they are mostly clear during the registration process, however they should not attempt to say that registration is free, and the final price really should be closer to the submit order button.

But are these QuiBids Penny Auctions Really A Good Deal?

To learn more about this, make sure you read my article on how penny auctions work. It looks good from the outside, but in that article I really break things down and explain all of they ways you are going to incur charges on these websites. This isn’t eBay, your money will be slowly sucked away quicker than you realize!

Quibids does not sell surplus or overstock items. This notion is just plain ridicules. The amount of money Quibids and other penny auction websites earn from people buying up bids pays for the items easily. Remember that each bid drives the cost of the item up one penny. So if something like an iPad2 (Which normally sells for around $500) is sold on quibids for $25.00, it means approximately 2500 bids have been placed on the item. At 25 cents per bid that means bidders spend $625.00 just bidding on the item which has easily payed for the ipad. Remember, only one person wins these items. You could spend $100 on bids yourself and still loose to someone who stays up later than you did that night, or worse, someone in an earlier timezone.

While it is 2:00am in New York and you are tired and bidding and about to fall asleep, its only 11:00pm at night in California. That person in California has a 3 hour tiredness advantage on you and will likely have no problem waiting you out.

13 Comments to Is QuiBids A Scam? Learn about how QuiBids Works Here!

1. David at Buy Books's Gravatar David at Buy Books
    November 29, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

Pretty sweet deal for the operator. Nice expose of how these penny auction schemes work.

2. Charles's Gravatar Charles
    January 23, 2012 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

Its a tax on the stupid, the Feds should compete with them.

3. mick's Gravatar mick
    February 5, 2012 at 5:53 am | Permalink

wont even attempt to waist my time writing why.

dont bother its a scam, steal money, mislead

stay away

4. Russell from Oz's Gravatar Russell from Oz
    February 11, 2012 at 5:15 am | Permalink

it is an outright scam…. period

5. Mangal's Gravatar Mangal
    February 20, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

Yes I do agree with everything that you say! I think that it is not a scam but really it is the bids tht really give them money to buy the products! Also auctions can be hours long which makes you give up your bidding after a while which makes you waste alot of money.

6. kerrinish's Gravatar kerrinish
    March 2, 2012 at 8:06 am | Permalink

We wonder…. how is it verified that real live people actually buy the goods? Could the owner of the website be paying people to “bid” on items and drive up the price? Who keeps track of whether each item is legitimately and legally sold?

Or are we just too cynical for our own good?

7. Scammed Again's Gravatar Scammed Again
    May 3, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

QuiBids is a Big Time Scam!!
    Cleaned out my 80 Bids in 2 days with NOTHING to show for it…..not even a keychain.
    Stick to ebay!!

8. RAW's Gravatar RAW
    May 3, 2012 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

SCAM….

Example: a $ 25 Petro Canada Gift Card is auctioned on the Canadian site…

Bidding On
    $25 PetroCanada Gift Card
    Location
    Montreal, QC CA
    Latest Win
    $50 You Choose It!
    $50 Canadian Tire Gift Card

at the same time the USA site is biding on a

Bidding On
    Sterling Silver Rope Pendant
    Location
    Charlotte, NC US

But the price is $ 79.00

so what happens is that the $ 25.00 is bid UP much higher because of the higher USA value.

Same On YOU QuiBids

Looks like a ClassAction 2 me…..

9. Kerrin's Gravatar Kerrin
    May 22, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the lesson Boon. You’ve helped me save money. I’m not even going to try Quibids.

10. Taryn's Gravatar Taryn
    June 15, 2012 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

I just signed up for this website because it looked awesome. Plus, I’ve heard about it on the news! But without even really noticing, I bought $60 worth of bids. I never saw a “Confirm Your Purchase” button or anything. I just saw that I had made a purchase. It’s a scam to me because it’s like they do things without you even realizing it. I hardly ever fall for this kind of stuff, but it looked like it was legit. It sucks. Plus, they have no freaking customer support. I had to email a complaint! When they’ll get back to me…who the hell knows?! But it better be soon because I want my f***ing money back!

11. Gerry's Gravatar Gerry
    July 2, 2012 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

It is a pyramid scam. Who knows who the REAL winner is. At 60 cents per bid an iPad selling for $30.00 quibid takes in $1800, enough to buy three iPads at $600 each. See how the scam works! They make tons of money on bids. Sort of like an illegal lottery system.

12. MS's Gravatar MS
    July 11, 2012 at 4:33 am | Permalink

Quibids is a scam, no doubt. I have followed some of these auctions, and they are bidding themselves to keep prices up. One auction recently the alias “soilost” bid for a 400 dollar item in bids over 700 dollars? He could have just purchased it on the site for a lot less when he had bid that much, but chose to continue? That proves they are bidding themselves, and it is a scam. Beware!

13. CC's Gravatar CC
    July 26, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Don’t bother with Quibids scam- unless you’re the winner you will lose big time! That’s really the high and low of it. Don’t be conned. They inflate the costs of the items – quoting them “never pay higher than retail” well guess what you will. By the time you factor in your bids, plus if you buy it out (cause you didn’t win but didn’t want to lose your money, plus pay taxes, plus pay shipping) you’ve lost! Unless you want to throw your money away don’t!